Re: IF or SWITCH (asinine?)

On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 11:57, tedd wrote:
> Ray said:
>
> >I'm pretty sure he's ONLY talking about IF/ELSEIF and not IF in general.
> >That's what I got from the message.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Of course, you're absolutely right -- I said specifically IF/ELSEIF.
> My objection is not with the IF statement, of course I use that. In
> fact, I use if/else for two choices and switch for three or more.
>
> I find it interesting that some programmers, who have to be exact
> with their syntax, can't read a simple statement containing proper
> syntax without misreading it.

Everyone is fallible, don't pretend you are not. When I realized my
misunderstanding I made it public and requested clarification. Either
way, I wasn't the only one to make the mistake as John Nichel also
assumed you included the if structure in your diatribe. Undoubtedly
others perceived similar.

> Rob said:
>
> >I think I may have read too much into your previous post. Are you saying
> >specifically that you never use the elseif construct or any of the if,
> >elseif, else constructs? If the latter then I think your methodology is
> >somewhat asinine since I'm sure 99% of the programmers out there would
> >view code consisting entirely of switches in place of ifs with a huge
> >grain of WTF :)

> You read too much? No, the case is that you didn't read enough -- or

No I read ALL of it. See, you're being unclear again, what you mean to
say above is that I didn't absorb the full meaning.

> you didn't comprehend what I wrote. I said that I NEVER use the

Yes there we go, I didn't FULLY comprehend what you wrote.

> IF/ELSEIF construct. I did not say that I don't use IF/ELSE (forgive

So does that mean you DO use IF/ELSEIF/ELSE? I mean come on, I can only
assume you do since you don't attach the ELSE to your list. What? I'm
supposed to read your mind? Oh sorry, I bow to your authority.

> my double negative). Don't be what you called my methodology.

If you understood what I wrote you would see I didn't call your
methodology asinine, I called restrictive use of switch in place of if,
if/elseif, if/else, if/elseif/else asinine. Oh wait, maybe I'm
misunderstanding you again and you don't just restrict to elseif usage.
Dammit, you've muddied the water again.

> As for what the 99% of programmers out there -- Locus ab auctoritate
> est infirmissimus.

"The argument from authority is the weakest." *Wheeeeeeeeeeee* Who's the
authority btw? You? I mean, you've got 30 years on me. I'm not sure why
you're weakening your stance, but whatever works best I guess.

> Also would you care to provide proof for your statistics?

Right off the top of my head. Thank you, thank you very much. It was not
meant as a definitive statistic, it was meant as a comment on the
unlikelyhood of anyone naturally subscribing to replacement of the
complete set of if/elseif/else permutations with switch statements.

Anyways, I think this debate is pretty much pointless now, you've
clarified your point of view (sort of) and I'll just run with the final
though that you limit your use of switch to case where elseif would be
needed... and to clarify on my part once more, I did not call that
asinine.

Cheers,
Rob.