Re: Visa / MasterCard security compliance

Dan Harrington wrote:
One of these requirements is cardholder data encryption -- is anyone aware
of a PHP/MySQL/Linux/Apache solution for end-to-end cardholder data encryption
that satisfies the Visa / MasterCard requirements?

Apache supports SSL/TLS. Therefore the credit card data can be encrypted in transit to you (you'll probably need to shell out for an SSL cert).

Your credit-card processing gateway will provide SSL/TLS encryption for your connection to them (be it via SOAP, REST, whatever).

If you really have to store the data for any reason, PHP's mcrypt extension allows you to encrypt it before storing it in the database. But avoid storing it if you can.

There you have it, end-to-end data encryption. That's basically the way I do it (I don't store card information so only the first two paragraphs apply), and I satisfy Visa and Mastercard's requirements. :)

--
Jasper Bryant-Greene
General Manager

http://www.album.co.nz/     0800 4 ALBUM