Instalation problem

I have a problem with PHP5, I'm using Apache1.3 as web server in winXP SP2 , y change the httpd file:

    LoadModule php5_module "C:/php/php5apache.dll"
also
    AddModule mod_php5.c
then
     <IfModule mod_mime.c>
         TypesConfig conf/mime.types
         AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
      </IfModule>
I also change the directory root. to htdocs

Then I copy and rename the php.ini file to my c:\windows
also copy the php5ts.dll file to the bin directory of  apache.

then save the file and restart the server.. but it just not work.
I create the file phpinfo.php containig:
<?
phpinfo();
?>

From the browser I tried: "http://localhost/phpinfo.php"; and the server
work 'cause y searches the file, but do not reconigze PHP, it just show the same code in a white screen.

I shut down de SP2 firewall, also the AV(just in case) and throw the same result.
then modify some things form the php.ini, but still doesn't work.

so, please, anyone have the solution? or I just better use IIS?