Re: PDO, Persistent Connections

On Mar 28, 2006, at 10:23 AM, Jochem Maas wrote:

Jarratt Ingram wrote:
Hi,
I have a little unusual question, we are currently looking into the new PDO extension with PHP5.1. We are currently use Mysql, InnoDB and transactions.
What we would like to know if we use the PDO extension and persistent
connections, can we start a Transaction on one page and then commit it from another separate page by carrying the PDO object through a php session? Thus preventing php from automatically closing that specific DB connection. The
reason for this we use remote connections to the Database.
Any thoughts or comments if i have missed the boat completely

not quite but in practice what you want is not possible.
in order to continue that transaction on 'page 2' you browser will
need to connect to the same thread/process as the connection of request of 'page 1' - not impossible but it's _very_ hit and miss (not something you
want to build upon).

oh and php resource datatypes (e.g. a DB connection) cannot be serialized.

in short you don't want to to do what you think you want to do :-) instead stuff the data in the session until you have it all and only then start and finish
the transaction in a single request.

Regards
Jarratt

*Please don't throw tomatoes at me!!*

Sounds like Java might be a solution here. From my understanding, Java can hold persistent connections. I know that may not be a feasible solution, but still something to consider.

~PRT