Re: Why Should I Use Zend Optimizer?

Ray Hauge wrote:
Still right on with the pre-compiling though ;) I find that the Optimizer has value. If you wanted to cache on top of that you could probably speed it up even further with cached responses (APC or I think Zend has one too)

Without an opcode cache, using the optimizer is going to slow you down unless you have written some extraordinarily dumb code. Without an optimizer the compiler translates your PHP script into a set of opcodes which are passed to the executor to be executed. The optimizer inserts itself in between these two stages and does a pass across the opcodes trying to remove and possibly re-arrange things a bit to make them execute faster. But if you are not caching this optimized set of opcodes in an opcode cache, then the work to optimize the opcodes will in almost all cases far outweigh the performance benefits you might see in the executor.

-Rasmus