Security in php/ajax scripts

Hi,

I am slowly converting my webapps to use the 'ajax' technology.  I'd like to
know what 'best practices' should I use when it comes to authenticate,
identify the requests in a more restricted context.

So far I've migrated some 'open' areas where the user, without having to
identify himself can perform searches. But I need to allow/deny him to do
insert/delete/update actions.

In the traditional webapp I'd create a login page where the user. password
would be checked against a database and a session variable would be set with
a authenticate code.  Further access to restricted pages are allowed/denied
based on the existance of this authenticate code.

What would be a good alternative in my ajax-enabled webapp?  I cant use
session in my php scripts (those called by the XMLHttpRequest.open) right?