Re: Message board integration with existing site

2wsxdr5 wrote:
I have a site with existing users and would like to add a message board such as phpbb or one of the others. The main requirement I have is I need to be able to use the existing user logins to access the forums. I also need a help desk ticket system that is also linked to the same users. I may however write that one myself as it doesn't need to be very sophisticated. Can some one recommend a php forum package and possibly a help desk ticket system that would be easy to integrate with my existing system? Basically what I will need to do is know how the account creation works with both systems and have my existing site populate the DB tables of each system and my existing login system set cookies or other variables so when they are logged into one they are logged into them all.

Look for one that has a developer api you can use to create / update users, it will make things easier (come upgrade time it won't change too much either whereas a database can change considerably and all your work goes down the drain).

Apart from that you'll need to modify each system so if you log in to the ticket system, you are logged in to the forums, if you log in to the website, you are logged in to both and so on - so the code will need to be "open" (unencrypted).

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/