Re: Creating a unique index ID

Jeff wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Jared Williams [mailto:jared.williams1@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 10:16
To: 'Jeff'; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE:  Creating a unique index ID

Hey all,

I've got a project where I'm taking form information from the
user and writing records to several tables in a MySQL database.

The problem I'm having is I need to write a unique number for
the ID column of the records. Auto increment won't work because I could have conflicts due to replication of the database servers. Anyone have any techique they use for creating unique ID field entries in a db table?

Autoincrements can work in a replicated enviroment, lookup mysql settings auto_increment_increment & auto_increment_offset.

Each server gets its own unique auto_increment_offset, and auto_increment_increment is set to the number of servers you have.

Jared

Hmm,
actually I'm using circular replication, so it's a bit different than
one way replication.

A replicates to B which replicates to A.

isn't that called synchronization? not that it matters. :-)

I've looked at the MySQL docs and can't find anything on how to make
Auto_Increment work in Circular Replication.

just a thought(tm):

it's probably considered hackish (don't know why) but how about setting
up a seperate server/instance-of MySQL whose ONLY job it is to provide new ids,
and then configure each system to connect [remotely] to the aforementioned
db whenever a new id is required... which will probably require some
rewriting if you normally use mysql_insert_id() after a query to determine an
id (with my proposal you are forced to explicitly generate an id before hand)