Re: what would a c extension buy me

joseph wrote:
hi,
my site is www.myowndictionary.com
i use javascript to create definitions for words (from open source
dictionaries) as pop-ups and hook word-lists for vocabulary study with
that. i can now parse the html from rss feeds and match only text of interest.
i just wrote my own multibyte html parser by combining various other
code i already had on hand for the parsing of multibyte text anyhow. but, that's not the slowest part. that takes maybe 3 seconds to get the
page, 3 seconds to parse it, but it sometimes takes 5 minutes for the
next step on huge rss files.
(I know the time because they are cached)
that last step...
The slow part that's left is the dictionary searching itself.  It's the
parsing of complicated php code -- 550 lines of complex data structure
loops, function calls, looping through arrays to make sql queeries --
lots of sql queeries.... the seconds ~ 5 minute it takes it all takes so much time.

use the 'EXPLAIN' syntax of MySQL to figure out if there are any bottlenecks
related to crap or 'missing' indexes with regard to the sql queries you mention
above. - chances are adding a couple of well placed indexes will probably
shave massive ammounts from the process time.

i want to ask for opinion about:
1) rewriting the php as C extension.  Would it slow my down to the below
15 second range?

How Long is a chinaman. How Long is a chinaman?
yes the C extension would be much faster (assuming you wrote it correctly -
but it's much harder to write and maintain)

2) does mysql have server-side functions yet?

there are stored procedures in mysql5.

3) if i moved the php code off mysql to postgresql and wrote server-side
functions (which i've been trained to do), how much of a time
improvement would we be talking about?

how on gods' (or whoever runs the place these days) earth can we tell
whether an unwritten stored procedure in postgres would be faster or slower
than an unknown (to us) piece of php code?

that said I doubt postgres will beat mysql in terms of pure speed assuming
you db schema is sound (indexes are good, etc).

please send me your input! i am at a growing stage and need direction here. because any of those steps will require considerable time.

it's monday morning here too ;-)

interesting language tool your building, you might consider repackaging it
in a modular form so that other people could implement in their own site.
(you do call it 'open source')

rgds,
Jochem

thank you.