Re: X-Mailer and headers when sending mail

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 17:27 -0800, Angelo Zanetti wrote:
> When adding additional headers to an email that gets sent from the mail function. What purpose does the X-Mailer have?

It identifies the mail client. So I normally set X-Mailer = "MySite
Mailer"; or something. This directive won't normally cause problems with
servers, but the Reply-To header will. Some servers reject mail without
a valid return address, mainly because this is a spam trick. Its a
reverse lookup of sorts on the mail server side.

> Also are the following linked:
>
> -X-Priority
> -Importance
> -X-MSMail-Priority

Yes, MSMail-Priority is for Microsoft clients, Importance is for Mac
clients (I think) and X-Priority is for the rest of the known universe
that adheres to standards.

> Another question is can I omit the Message-ID for the email? or will this result in some mail servers viewing the mail
> as spam? What criteria do I use to generate the Message-ID?

Message-ID is OK to omit In my experience, but see above for Reply-To

> I've seen:
> 	$headers .= "Message-ID: <".date("YmdHis")."you@".$_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'].">\n";
>
> is this ok?

I would do a date("r") for a nice RFC format date and time, but it
should be OK.

> Perhaps if someone has a link on the headers for a mail that could help me it would be much appreciated.

http://za2.php.net/ mail function.

--Paul