Re: How secure is this?

Your example fails for me, Firefox and Mozilla. The rpc.php file doesn't seem to return anything.

To answer your question though, a bot is capable of getting anything that a human can, probably more. It's all a question of effort. As the email scrapers get plenty of hits looking for standard email addresses, they don't put much effort into getting addresses from people who try to hide them (people who hide them are also less likely to fall for spam). In the current environment, I don't think any bot is going to bother running javascript, so any obstuftication using javascript should be safe.

David

tedd wrote:

Hi gang:

A few days ago I posted my first attempt ajax. I posed the question "Could a bot find my email address contained within the code?"

There was some discussion, but I wasn't sure as to what the decision was, so I made another example, which can be found at:

http://www.xn--ovg.com/aja

How secure is this from bots? Could a bot (or anyone) get to my email address via the code? Of course, you can read my email address by looking at the site, but I think I've hidden the code well enough from bots -- am I wrong? And if so, how would a bot, or anyone for that matter, find it?

Thanks for looking and any suggestions you may have.

tedd

PS: This site works for: Opera 8.5+, Safari, Netscape 7.2+, Mozillia 1.6+, FireFox 1.0.7+, Konqueror 3.4.0+, and IE 5+ (except Mac)