ajax was HN CAPTCHA...

Hi gang:

The http://xn--ovg.com/no_bot was my first dive into ajax.

What I found interesting was that the presentation on the screen wasn't also found in the code. That I'm sure is known to others, but it was a surprise to me. Immediately, I thought of CAPTCHA and other situations where you would want bots to see one thing while you presented what you wanted to your visitor.

For example, it's easy to hide stuff from visually unimpaired visitors by using a far-left css technique -- in other words, moving text far left and out of the screen. However, this causes problems for the visually impaired because they still "read" it AND if a search engine concern (i.e., Google) catches you trying to deceive, then your site may be banned. I only present this because you could do it.

Another example is presenting your email address on your site to a visitor while keeping it away from bots. That certainly works -- or at least I think it works -- I'm awaiting proof otherwise.

As for bots detecting, parsing and executing the javascript to arrive at answer -- I'm sure they could, but I wonder how likely that would be? In any event, this is another CAPTCHA solution that works pretty good.

My first impression of ajax is that this is very cool for creating "non-auto-refreshing" web pages. Now I'm off to experiment with it further.

Thanks for the review guys.

tedd