Re: Recursive permissions

On 2/18/06, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 Hi gang:

 Question: I know you can set a directory to have certain permissions,
 but how do you set the permissions to be recursive? In other words,
 for example, if you set the directory to be 755, then everything
 placed within that directory will also be 755.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.umask.php

--
Kim Christensen

Kim:

Thanks, but are you sure about that?

That looks like a function that simply takes the old permission settings and stores them until you're finished setting new permissions to a file/directory and then you can safely restore the old permissions to what they were.

What I'm looking for is how to set the permissions for a directory such that all files in it will have the same permissions.

I use GoLive and in their file "FTP access" settings they have a recursive checkbox. If the checkbox is not checked, then whatever permission setting I give to a directory is just to the directory. However, if it the recursive checkbox is checked, then all files placed in the directory will have the directory's permissions. Perhaps this is something limited to GoLive and not an option in setting chmod's via php's built-in functions.

I am aware of how to change the contents of a directory to a specific chmod using a recursive php routine, but I was looking for a simpler way.

tedd