Re: installing php 4.4.2 on windows system

Hi Paul,

I have been developing a php website.  I have been ftping my php web
pages to a webserver and that works hkowever I don't have an error log
on the webserver.  So I downloaded apache 2.0.55.   I am doing a
manual installation and I am at the point where it tells me where to
place the php.ini file.  The instructions tell me to put the file in a
number of places. The directions told me that if I were using apache
to use the PHPIniDir directive.  My question is where do I put the
php.ini file? Where do I put this Directive? In the Httpd.conf?

Under Windows it didn't use to be necessary to make Apache explicitly point to the ini file (at least: for all Apache 1.3.x versions). Rather, the trick used to be to simply place the php.ini file somewhere in the path that has been set for all Windows applications.

Normally, the 'windows' or 'winnt\system32' directories do the trick. If you're working under NT, 2000, or XP give the latter a go and restart Apache. Chances are it still picks it up swell. If it doesn't, then indeed perhaps as of Apache 2 you need to explicitly make Apache point to the right file.

Cheers!
Olafo