Re: phpinfo returns a permission error

So, what does this say:
$umask

It says:
0022

and this:
$ ls -l /home/dave/web_sites/phpinfo.php

It says:
-rw-------  1 dave dave 20 2006-02-13 22:45 /home/dave/web_sites/phpinfo.php

and are you using the browser to view the file via
a server (e.g., the browser address bar says "http://";),

Yes. I view it via localhost, within FireFox.

Is PHP running as mod_php in apache, or CGI?

I'm not sure. I don't know how to answer this.

Finally, can you view other files in the same directory
via similar means?

Yes. I have three different web sites that I test here on my local machine, all of which use PHP extensively. In fact, exclusively. And they all execute and display PHP pages without any error. This phpinfo.php script is the first ever page that I've had any kind of issue with.

--
Dave M G