Re: Class/functions question

Paul Goepfert wrote:

Hi all,

I building a website with PHP.  I am going to be using functions to
deal with vaildation.  I am putting all the methods in a class called
Validation. My problem is I do not know how to call the function. Well I shouldn't say that. I know how to call functlions, I just just
don't know how to do it in PHP.  Let me put it this way.  When I write
programs in C++/Java I know that I have to do the following steps,

create an object reference to the class
use the object reference to access the methods.

I am almost certain that it is the same thing in PHP.  So this is what
I did in my web page.

<?php
if (isset($submit))
{
//validation code
class Validation
{
	function checkEmpty ($var)
	{
		if (empty($var))
		{
			echo "YEAH It works!!";
		}
	}
}

else
{?>
		<?php
			$v = new Validation;
			$v->checkEmpty($_POST["name"]);
		?>

... = rest of php/html code

the else block holds the entire html code for the page

Do I have the logic right?

Paul

Yes and no. Yes, you're calling it correctly, and no because when submit is set, your php scipt will have a class called Validation, and no HTML is being sent to output. On the other hand, when submit is not set, you output a bunch of HTML, but never define your class, and thus will get a couple of errors from it.

- tul