Re: Re: [Off] Cheap SSL certificates?

Rory Browne wrote:
 >>I operate my own web/e-mail server

No offense, but so what? Do you think that makes you different from most people here, many of whom administrate web, email, database,
dns, etc? You're on a technical list, and people who admin servers
are the norm rather than the exeception. I'm sorry if that seems a
bit blunt, but I thought the last reply was a bit arrogant.

My last response was an attempt to be informative on the basis of my
experience with digital certificates.  I do understand that discrediting
comments will be posted against me, and that I have a privilege to reply
back to the comments.  So, I replied back on Richard's message to say
why I thought he was wrong, itemizing points just like you did.

Regarding this SSL thread, my main point was: have your public key
signed by the right CA.  Doing so prepares the web server for the
possible day when users finally decide to trust only certificates issued
by a CA that does go through verification procedures.

If one wants to believe my comments, that's fine.  If one does not want
to believe my comments, that's fine too.  I learn from all comments just
like everyone else does, and I understand that sometimes, I am wrong. :)

- KJM