Re: Re: [Off] Cheap SSL certificates?

On Fri, February 3, 2006 9:54 am, Kevin McBride wrote:
> All in all, be cautious in selecting a certification authority to
> issue
> you a certificate.  Remember that it's sometimes better paying more
> for
> a certificate from a truly trustworthy CA.

And in the real world, where browsers just blindly chase down CAs and
the basic Security Model is "you pay us $200, and we make sure you are
who you say you are, and then we trust you" what real difference does
it make?

There are certainly a zillion sites *I* do not trust that have
high-priced CA-certified SSL certs...

And Joe Sixpack and Betty Buick just look for the little lock symbol
to be closed, and guage trustworthiness only on there being no popups
warning them it's not secure, and that the site "looks" professional,
and a "brand-name" on the logo/domain.

So, why exactly would I pay for a $200 background check on myself,
when I already trust myself?  Why not pay $70 for an SSL with no
background check on myself, so long as it makes Joe Sixpack and Betty
Buick happy, if it's got 99% ubiquity?

I'm often curious why exactly people think the SSL / CA system is so
great, when it seems a whole lot like the Emporer's Clothes to me, or
some kind of weird Ponzi scheme to line the pockets of a handful of
companies, with very very very little added-value to the end user.

YMMV
IANAL

--
Like Music?