Re: File permissions do not seem to be my friend

On Thu, February 2, 2006 11:20 am, Brian Dunning wrote:
> I have a script that scans an images folder and creates a thumbnail
> for each and writes it to a new subfolder. Runs fine on my
> development box. But I'm using a new host that I'm unfamiliar with
> (servage.net), and when I run the script I get the following error. I
> set the permissions on the enclosing folder to 777, and all the
> attempted writes are within this folder:
>
> SAFE MODE restriction in effect. The script is not allowed to access /
> blah/blah/blah...

The mis-named and oft-misunderstood SAFE MODE is a PHP attempt to help
ISPs secure PHP users doing Bad Things.

It's not really very effective, really, for an intentional person bent
on wreaking havoc, and is a royal PITA for honest users -- Which might
be why it's on the PHP6 Roadmap to be gotten rid of.
http://www.php.net/~derick/meeting-notes.html

(Not to be confused with the open_basedir restriction, which is
equally lame, but causes a lot less problems, at least in part because
it is more correctly-named)

You'll want to use http://php.net/phpinfo to see what your SAFE MODE
settings are, and you may need to contact your Hosting company fix
things -- Or get them to turn OFF safe_mode because A) it probably
doesn't do what they think it does and B) it's not very effective
anyway, and C) it's disappearing in PHP6, so they might as well get
used to it (reference above URL for them)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm