POP3 or other servers in php

I'm looking a POP3/IMAP server written in PHP. Or failing that, any
socket-based sever would help me by being an example I could base my
own on.

I know there are a million functions, routines and classes for
talking to POP3/IMAP servers. That is not what I need. I need an
actual service (or example of one) in PHP, one that listens on a
port and handles multiple incoming connections. What 'nixers would
call a "daemon".

I've done some RTFM and found quite a lot of interesting stuff in
the manual and manual comments of the "Socket Functions" section.
What I'm now seeking is real-world examples.

Many thanks,

Geoff.