odd behavior

When I expire you will find my hands wrapped tightly around the throat of a
Windows network administrator.

I had PHP installed on a web server, and all was working OK, save for one
small thing. phpinfo() indicated that the path to the php.ini was c:\WINNT,
which it was not. So I copy the file from the c:\php directory to the
c:\winnt directory and restart IIS. Now, when I click a link to take me to a
directory with an index.php I get a 404, not found error. If I refresh the
page shows up just fine. So I remove the ini page, start and stop the IIS
server, click the link, and no problem...the page is delivered just fine.

Has anyone experienced this behavior before, and how do I fix that damned
path to the ini? TIA!