Re: Image handling advice needed

On Wed, January 18, 2006 2:10 am, William Stokes wrote:
> I need to build an image 'library'. The library will consist mostly of
> images taken with digital cameras. Since unedited digicam pics will
> most
> likely be too big for web usage they need to be edited automatically
> so that
> they can be put to a web page.
>
> I'am trying to deside between two options. To resize (=scale down) the
> images once they are uploaded to server and store the smaller file or
> upload
> and store the original BIG file and scale it to thumbnail once it's
> viewed.
> Any opinnions about this.
>
> I think that if the disk space is not an issue I could upload the
> original
> file. But are there performance issues if the thumbnails are created
> "on the
> fly" if there are hundreds of pics?

The question isn't the number of pics, but how many times your server
gets pounded on...

Or are you planning on scaling down hundreds of pics on *ONE* page on
the fly?  For sure, don't do that.  Or, you can do it, but cache the
results of the thumbnails you displayed, so you only have to really
scale them in PHP the first time.

The real question is:
Why do you need / want the original large picture?

What use do you have for it?

Storage space for hundreds of digital camera images is pretty
predictable -- You could figure out exactly how much drive space you
need.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm