Re: Very high speed session management -- help me test

Mark wrote:
Jochem Maas wrote:

hi Mark,

Mark wrote:

I have a program called MCache, it used to be MSession. I'm trying to get

why 'Cache' - its a session handler right? (I think the name is a little
confusing, but maybe its just me - I have been adding cache mechanisms
to a site for the last month or so!)

Because it is more of a cache, I envision using it to cache PHP objects
independent of sessions. Think of how you'd implement a poll site. MCache
is designed to handle concurrency and provide some limited atomic numeric
functions.

That does sound very interesting. I woudl still suggest that you change the name
to something that reflects the nature of the beast - namely its ability to
handle concurrency and the fact that it's designed for a distributed/load-balanced
env. There are alot of 'Cache' and 'Session' named things out there - and especially
in the php world these names don't evoke the functional abilities you
tool seems to have. just a thought.

is this better than using the 'files' session handler and setting the
session save path to a tmpfs filesystem (in effect a RAM disk) in a
signle server env.?

This is not really intended for a single server site, but could provide
some benefit as a way of abstracting file or SQL session storage.

ok; although that doesn't answer my question.
another thing if it's not really intended for a signle server site then
youre audience here is rather limited - I'm guessing that there are not
many here running distributed/load-balanced systems.

I don't atm; but it almost makes me want to go out and get a server
to try it out.

the word out and get some testers.

The server itself is GPL, the PHP extension is under the PHP license. I
will be checking it in to the PHP main CVS repository when I'm pretty
sure that it will play nice.

The server can be accessed via CVS from www.mohawksoft.org.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.