RE: nifty little tools - resposity - evaluations..

Wasn't this just brought up on another thread?  "nifty little tools" that is and a repository for such things.

There are lots of code repositories but none that I go directly to right off.  Usually I hit Yahoo/Google and do a search for what I'm looking for and find whatever looks best for my situation.  That way, in theory, I find some of the newest/freshest ideas and techniques.  Not always the best, but it's usually a starting place.

<tangent>
Since you asked..

I use Zend Studio (http://www.zend.com) and Crimson Editor (http://www.crimsoneditor.com)... if not just Notepad/vi/other-generic-text-editor-native-to-OS>.  My workmate uses Komodo (http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/).
</tangent>

I've found that people ask these kinds of questions over and over again..  and there are so many great websites out there with great code snippets or information in general.  And never a lack of people who give opinions on what their favorite is... be it framework, php editor, or favorite brand of shiraz.

So a little while ago I registered userrated.com  (nothing there now but an image cropping test script done in PHP...with an awesome pic of a pirate llama... you heard me!).

Anyway, my idea for this site is to create a review site for such things like PHP editors or even someone's favorite wine, restaurent, flea market, whatever.  So when someone on the PHP list asks about flea markets...err... editors..  You can say "Go to userrated.com and hit the PHP section".

The idea would be to enter just about anything and have properties associated with the item that can be itemized or just rated.

PHP Editors:
  Version [free entry]
  OS's supported [list]
  Ease of Use [1-5]
  IDE? [Y/N/Partial?]
  Debugger? [Y/N/Partial?]
  Stability [1-5]
  Overall impression [1-5]

Wine:
  Type [free entry or checkbox?]
  Origin [free entry]
  Dry-Sweet [1-5]
  Year
  Vineyard
  Color
  Whatever-else-wine-snobs-judge-by  :)

And the other thing I'd like to do with it is be able to show all ratings/reviews/comments or filter by date range because sometimes things become outdated or obsolete or were great a year ago and now aren't supported anymore.  So if you showed "all dates" it may say "Average rating 7.5" but if you showed the 100 ratings giving in the last 2 months, it may drop to "4.0".

Just throwing this out there in case anyone has any thoughts or comments or hell.. maybe a site already exists that does all this.

Two things inspired this idea...  (1) the constant weekly "What PHP editor do you use?  What's the best?" questions (hah) and (2) my lack of ability to remember all the odd restaurants, wines, beers, camping spots, dog groomers, whatever that my girlfriend and I check out.  Was that Indian restaurant in Baltimore any good?  Was it the one on Charles Street or down near Lexington Market that was the good one with the all-you-can-eat curry at lunch on weekends?  (*shiver* scary hah)

So when I get un-lazy and stop playing World of Warcraft long enough to do some PHP projects.. is this something anyone would find useful?  I'd like to open it up so just about anyone can create a category and add "properties" to the item being rated.  Probably have to approve items so it doesn't get crazy, but still might be cool.

Ok... off to stare at the pirate llama for a bit so I don't have to do real work.

-TG