RE: PHP interference in frames

> On 12/22/05, Ron Rudman <ron@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>I've got this down to a bare bones test but am still stumped.  Can anyone
>>explain why I get the behavior I do?
>>
>>I have a frameset with 3 frames:
>><frameset rows='100,100,*'>
>>    <frame src='test1.php'></frame>
>>    <frame src='test2.php'></frame>
>>    <frame src='test3.php'></frame>
>></frameset>
>>
>>test1.php and test2.php are both simply:    <? sleep(5); ?>
>>test3.php is simply:   <? echo "This is some content"; ?>

I tested this in both IE6 (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp.0503101-1521 to be exact) and
Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6 on Windows XP SP2 running Apache 1.33 with PHP 4.3.9
on the same machine.

In IE the content of test3.php is displayed immediately and 5 seconds later
the content of test1.php and test2.php (I've added an echo after the
sleep(5); to see what happens.

In Mozilla it takes 5 seconds to display test3.php. When I put that frame at
the top it displays immediately. If I put it in the middle it displays
immediately.

What I do remember is that when I download multiple files (using IE or
Mozilla on WinXP) from the same server I can only do two downloads at a
time. I don't know if this is an OS setting. I did found a setting for IE
and changed that value to 5 so now I can download up to 5 files from the
same server at the same time. Don't know where to change it in Mozilla.

It therefore seems that the browser makes a connection to the server for the
first page and starts downloading it. At the same time it makes a connection
to the server for the second page and starts downloading it. After one of
these two have downloaded it start downloading the third page.

If you change the setting in the browser (like I did with IE) you can
download up to that number of pages at the same time.

It is therefore not an issue with PHP but with the browser.

HTH

Albert

(PS List replies only please!)