Re: HTML rendering extension?

On 21 Dec 2005, at 18:17, Richard Lynch wrote:

At least I *think* it was called "webthumb"...

Maybe from the GD folks???

It's out there somewhere, and I was going to look into it, but...

You'd feed it a URL and it gives you an image.  You need X installed,
so it can run X in the background and render it.

It is indeed called webthumb: http://www.boutell.com/webthumb/

After installing firefox on my server, tweaking webthumb to use firefox instead of Mozilla, a bit of messing with xauth settings, and I've got it working! It seems like a more polished alternative to html2jpg. It uses Xvfb for a local display so you don't need a real one, and it doesn't interfere with remote X sessions, though firefox complains if you try to run it on both X displays at once. Now I just need to go find a borderless chrome package for ff...

khtml2jpg is definitely a more advanced solution as it contains its own browser and is thus not limited by screen size - you could grab a page 10,000 pixels tall if you wanted to - and it can monitor browser state e.g. so it can know when all images are loaded instead of just waiting for a bit. Flipside - it's not working for me...

Thanks very much for the tip, very glad to have finally found a solution.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture