Re: CSS and TablesL

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 10:38:12PM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 19:07:36 -0800
> Curt Zirzow <czirzow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 09:16:32PM -0500, Michael B Allen wrote:
> > > This question is a little OT but no doubt everyone and their brother is
> > > generating tables here so heres my question.
> >
> > well, i try to only use tables when I present tabular data, i
> > wonder mabey if i'm a cousin or something. And, yes, it is a bit OT.
>
> So what do you use for layout? CSS absolute positioning? I'm highly skeptical.

Imo, aboslute position will get you in trouble and will avoid it
unless absolute is needed. there are severaL solutions for css
layouts, googling for css layout or css design will give you
serveral options.

> >  http://www.csszengarden.com/
>
> But from looking at the "Submit your Design" link I see they have some
> elaborate forms with no tables. Mmm, I'm less skeptical.

Serveral times i have pointed people to that site and they were
like 'yeah, and so?'

And so look at the html source across all the different pages and
compare them, you will notice that the only thing differnent is the
css included.

> > > .t {
> > >     font-size: small;
> > >     border-bottom: 1px lightgrey solid;
> > >     border-right: 1px lightgrey solid;
> > > }
> >
> > Anyway... Change the definition to:
> >
> >   table.t td, table.t th {
> >
> > And Add:
> >
> >   table.t th {
> >     text-align: left;
> >   }
> >
> > > and add a class="t" to EVER SINGLE TH and TD tag like:
> > >
> > >   echo "<table cellpadding=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\">";
> >
> > Assign the class of 't' to the table.

I hope you didn't miss this.

Curt.
--
cat .signature: No such file or directory