Re: Why don't webhosts upgrade to PHP5 ?

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 08:37, Pugi! wrote:
> My webhost doesn't want to upgrade to PHP5 because of security reasons and
> some scripts that will mallfunction. I find it hard to believe. Current
> conf of webhost is PHP 4.3.11, Apache 1.3.33 and MySQL 3.23.49.
> What real reasons could there be not to upgrade ?
> How could I convince them to upgrade to PHP5 ?
> (Less important for me : but why not upgrade to Apache 2.x and at least
> MySQL 4.x ?)

1. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
2. PHP 4 has proven its worth.  Now that PHP 5 came out, there will be tons of
bugs that aren't found yet.
3. PHP 5 *WILL* break some scripts, and most big suits like forums and shops
and stuff will need a serious amount of work to convert to php 5

Same applies for Apache and MySQL.

Consider this, NASA still uses 386 cpu's in their space equipment because they
are a lot more stable and mission secure then newer chipsets.

HTH

Andy

--
Now listening to Top! Radio Live www.topradio.be/stream on amaroK