Problems with PHP and Apache 2.x 404 ErrorDocument handlers

I used to have a number of sites direct 404 errors towards PHP scripts for
error handling and the such.  Recently I upgraded my PHP installs to 4.4.1(from
4.3.11) with the configure parameters listed below.  Now, none of my PHP
handlers are functioning.  They are all returning 0 size responses.  After
quite a bit of troubleshooting I have determined it is not Apache as it's
ErrorHandler functions are working correctly and I can drop a Perl (or other
language) script in place of the PHP script and they function as desired.

Has anybody else run into this problem lately, and if so, does anybody know
how to resolve it?

The configure parameters used are as follows:
 --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
 --enable-force-cgi-redirect
 --enable-discard-path
 --enable-fastcgi
 --enable-magic-quotes
 --with-openssl
 --with-kerberos
 --with-zlib
 --enable-calendar
 --with-curl
 --enable-exif
 --with-dom
 --enable-ftp
 --with-gd
 --with-jpeg-dir
 --with-png-dir
 --with-xpm-dir
 --with-xlib-dir
 --with-imap-ssl
 --with-pspell
 --with-recode
 --with-readline
 --with-snmp
 --with-imap
 --enable-sockets
 --with-pdflib=/Archives/Linux/PDFLib/5.0.4/PDFlib-5.0.4-Linux/bind/c
 --with-pspell
 --with-swf=/Archives/Linux/LibSWF/dist
 --with-xmlrpc
 --with-pear
 --with-mysql
 --with-gmp
 --with-expat-dir=/usr

Thank you for any assistance anyone is able to offer regarding this issue.

Jason Ziemba