Client-side file uploading

Hi,

I'm working on a website with some downloadable files. I use simple web-based file uploading form to put new files on the server and I keep information about them (filename, description to be displayed and so on) in the database. It worked well until files began to exceed default Apache's limit of 2MB. I guess there is a way of increasing this limit (probably by .htaccess file - I'm not authorized to make changes in httpd.conf) but I don't think it's the best option here.

What I want to do is some kind of small client application running locally on my PC Windows machine. I thought of cURL handling ftp file uploads and a simple web service putting file info into database. Then add a GUI (PHP-GTK or WinBinder). I want to make it as simple to use as possible.

Have some of you ever made something like that? Maybe there are other techniques to make this kind of application in PHP. I'm a newbie to cURL and web services and I don't want to invent a wheel again. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Best regards,
Ajree