Re: PHP and email

On 11/23/05, David Grant <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Angelo,
>
> Why not send them all in one go?  If you want to reduce server load, you
> should perhaps adjust the 'nice'ness of the script.

Because niceness would only affect the script itself and not any smtp
servers it comes across along the way.

renicing would make the script nice to the local computer, but sending
8000 in one go, will overload the remote smtp servers which do not
know the local nice value.

> If you do the following:
>
> nice --adjustment=19 ./script.php
>
> Your script will run in the background and use only spare resources.
but that will only affect the local machine.

You could adjust the bandwidth using trickle, but to answer the mans
question - it doesn't really matter. Personally I'd perfer the former,
but you have to make sure that your script doesn't time out by setting
some php.ini value(forget the name of it.)