Autodeleting news when it has become yesterdays news

I have a news-script on a webpage. Or an eventscript you might call it.
This lists up events thats gonna happen on a given day. ie concerts and
sportsevents.
To get this deleted without having to log on to the adminpage when the event
is over would have been a great relief.

1. Is it just as simple as writing a query that executes and removes news
with yesterdays date?

2. And how should I set it to execute if so?

Just at the beginning of the page with the news is my thought. So that it
checks for the eventdate and erases the overdued ones before it collects the
news.

3. Is there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I use Mysql for my db of course.

Could someone give me a start on this?