RE: security question... "man in the middle attacks"

your questions are on point...

if you're going to really talk about doing transactions... it appears to me
that you really need to solve this. www.passmarksecurity.com claims to have
solved this.. although i'm not sure i agree with them.. for one, i can't
find a thorough independent analysis, for two, from what i can tell... they
rely on the server app getting information from the browser. their approach
appears to depend on their belief that the intermediary (fake) app can't be
in the middle, therefore they'll only get valid information from the 'real'
browser...

as far as i can tell, their solution is to look at certain information (mac
address/headers/etc...) that they're inclined to believe can't be
altered/spoofed. i'm not buying it!!!!

as far as i can tell... you essentially need multiple information streams on
the client(browser) machine coming from the server... in actuality, i can
envision the following...

                   master server      <----> customer client
                    /          \
                   /            \
              biz server <---> customer browser

    the customer and the biz server talk to each other
    the customer client and master server talk to each other
    the customer client and browser are on the same machine

 the idea would be for the client app to be abel to 'get/see' the url that
the biz server app is sending for return requests. the client app would then
for the given site. this can be accomplished fairly quickly by polling
random dns servers at the master level.

if the majority of the polled dns servers return the same address as the one
from the biz server, we can assume that the biz server is giving the correct
url/ip addresses.. this could be done for every request.

this kind of approach would be pretty difficult to corrupt, unless the
client app where somehow mangled/forged. you could determine if the client
was ever screwed with by using an SMS type of system via the cell phone...

-bruce