Error Messages, Windows, and Tequila

Hidy-ho good meighbors and neighborettes!

I continue my, as yet unquenched, fascination with the Windows operating
system[sic].

Does anyone know (I have error reporting set so high it would make your head
swim) why errors wouldn't be output to a browser window when they occur? For
instance, I typed the following;

while($doc = odbc_feych_array($dbDocData) // note the misspelling of fetch
that means I was thinking in wild-west dialect at the time, 'fey-uch'

An erro went to the Apache log but no error, such as the highly popular
"syntax erro" was sent to the browser. Alas, a search of Google revealed
nothing worthwhile, probably because I didn't have the right search term.
Would someone please shed some light on this?

Thanks!