Re[4]: Is echo tag reasonably portable?

Hi Jim,

> Still best practice is to use long tags. Suppose you write a
> closed-app for a client who makes a business decision to move it to
> a hosted server that does not allow short tags... The down side is,
> the app will break. The up side is, the client will probably call
> you to fix it, and pay you your standard rate to do so, unless he is
> bright enough to realize it was YOUR fault it broke.

To be honest, if a client upped and move an application I'd built to
an entirely different host, without consulting me prior to the move,
I'd place the blame ball firmly in their court.

I've never signed a contract yet that said "this code will work
anywhere you dump it", and I never will.

However, I understand what you're saying, and I agree with it
completely. I use long tags for all full app developments, and
short-tags for all prototypes.

My only point is that when two options are identical in nature, there
is no "best preference", only that which is the best for you, and your
immediate needs.

If your host doesn't support them, that's a pretty immediate need. If
your client likes to up and move stuff around without telling you,
that's quite a need too. If you had the luxury of building the entire
site from scratch, then it's your issue. However if your client wants
maintenance on a 3 year old app, spread across hundreds of files, with
thousands of lines of inter-mingled short-tagged code -- well, that's
a slightly different concern, and "best practises" don't always apply.

It ain't never black or white!

Cheers,

Rich
--