RE: Re[2]: Is echo tag reasonably portable?

cho tag reasonably portable?

> Hi Jim,

Hi Richard.

> Tuesday, November 15, 2005, 5:25:58 PM, you wrote:
>
> > I don't know, but those who do should not use short tags. And those
> > who hope to should not get into the habit of using short tags.
>
> And for the vast majority remaining, who write closed-apps for
> clients??

Still best practice is to use long tags.  Suppose you write a closed-app for
a client who makes a business decision to move it to a hosted server that
does not allow short tags...  The down side is, the app will break.  The up
side is, the client will probably call you to fix it, and pay you your
standard rate to do so, unless he is bright enough to realize it was YOUR
fault it broke.

> > It will be when you have to sort through 1,000,000 lines of code in
> > 400 files to change '<?' to '<?PHP'. Better to save the grief and do
> > it right to start with, no?
>
> There is no "right" or "wrong" for this, it's down to personal
> developer preference. Nothing more, nothing less. It's only "right" if
> you're building an app for distribution to unknown end-users. I don't
> think that covers the majority of work we all do here somehow.

You're probably right.  Most people will be just fine using short tags.  My
only point was to say that , IMO, "Best Practice" trumps "personal developer
preference", no matter what the situation.

JM