Re[4]: Is echo tag reasonably portable?

Hi Robin,

> I did quote the note concerning them in its entirety. If I had
> simply quoted the manual as saying "be sure not to use short tags"
> then I could see your point regarding lack of context. But I didn't.

Not in the message I was replying to, hence my comments. Although
having re-scanned the thread, it was quoted further back by someone
else. Personally I find there is a vast difference in meaning between
"don't use short-tags" and "don't use short-tags for distributed
applications".

> Firstly, I didn't actually suggest they were disabled. I suggested
> that they should be off by default. If they're needed then it's
> simple to turn them on, but it would discourage new developers from
> using a construct which is not compatible with xml and xhtml.

Agreed. Although, if they needed that construct, don't you think
they'd realise the implications rather quickly? (most likely at the
point at which everything goes tits up?! ;)

Cheers,

Rich
--
Zend Certified Engineer