Re[2]: Is echo tag reasonably portable?

Hi Robin,

> Short tags have been deprecated for years. Both the manual and the
> php.ini file itself advise people not to use them. Personally I
> think it's about time they were turned off by default, but that's
> bound to annoy a lot of people who've ignored the warnings.

1) They are not deprecated.

2) The manual does not advise people not to use them per se. You're
missing out the entire context in which it advises against them.

3) The php.ini file does not advise people not to use them per se. You're
missing out the entire context in which it advises against them.

I doubt very much if they will be disabled. They are perfectly valid
SGML processing instructions.

I agree they are a legacy of the PHP3 era, and for re-distributable
apps you should avoid them. But that is all. Your statements are, in
their brevity, incorrect.

Cheers,

Rich
--