Re: Re: Security Issues - Where to look?

On Thu, November 10, 2005 3:08 pm, GamblerZG wrote:
> Chris Shiflett wrote:
>> GamblerZG wrote:
>>> I think it's still reasonable to restrict a session to a single IP.
>> No, it's not, for all of the reasons Richard mentioned and more.
>
> I agree that using only IP to identify session is bad.
> Using only SID is ok.
> Using SIDs that are tied to a single IP is even _more secure_, since
> the
> possible attacker would need to have exactly the same IP as a victim
> of
> session hijacking. This comes at a price of a small inconvinience for
> dial-up users (since they would need to login on each reconnect), but
> think such price it reasonable.

Please pay attention.

AOL *will* change the IP address of their users *IN* *THE* *MIDDLE*
*OF* *A* *SESSION*.

They will not be "disconnected".

They will not need to re-dial.

Their phone line does not change its status from "live" to "dead"

They will not be logged out of AOL.

Their IP address *WILL* change, just because AOL felt like it [++].

You are rendering your site un-usable by all AOL users in a big way to
rely on IP address not changing in mid-session.

There is *NO* standard, law, rule, nor reason for an IP address to be
assumed to be consistent, even in a single session/login/phone-call.

++ I suspect that AOL has a better reason internally for doing this
than "I felt like it" but they don't NEED a better reason, and the
effect is the same.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm