Re: match by relevancy

On Fri, November 4, 2005 1:03 am, John Taylor-Johnston wrote:
> I'm using PHP Version 4.3.9 and MySQL 4.1.12. I recently upgraded from
> PHP 4.1.x and MySQL 4.0.x.
> Basically my SQL below now render empty set. It worked until my
> upgrade.
> Basically "ORDER BY relevancy DESC" no longer works, I think!?
>
> I got help building this $SQL here, so I'm hoping Sgt./Corporal what's
> his name, who answered my original question, is still around.
> Sorry to be off topic. I see no inpsiration in the relevant part of
> the
> Doc: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/fulltext-search.html nor
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-search.html
>
> Desperately looking for an answer. Any thoughts?
>
> SELECT *,MATCH (AU,ST,SD)
> AGAINST ('johnston' IN BOOLEAN MODE)
> AS relevancy FROM ccl.ccl_main
> WHERE MATCH (AU,ST,SD)
> AGAINST ('johnston' IN BOOLEAN MODE)
> ORDER BY relevancy DESC;

Are you doing this in PHP?

Are you using http://php.net/mysql_error to print out the error
messages that MySQL provides when your SQL query is bad?

Without those, we have very little info to go on.

If the query itself is valid, the ORDER BY is not your problem.

ORDER BY only changes the order of the results you get -- it never
ever deletes (or adds) rows to your result set.

You could even take out "ORDER BY relevancy DESC" just to test and
you'd still get an empty set.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm