Re: No forums?

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 22:09:01 -0500, GamblerZG wrote:

> AFAIK, there are no "official" forums for PHP. Considering the fact that
> PHP is a web development tool, such distaste for message boards is ironic
> at the least. So why exactly there aren't any forums on php.net?

I wonder why you use the term distaste i don't think that is why there is
no mesage boards around.

I believe you've answer your own question later in this email with your
question:

   R: Synchronizing mail lists and forums is very difficult and nobody
   will do it.

You only (incorrectly) answer the first part of the question but never
address the second part.

> I've monitored this list long enough to predict the most probable
> replies to this message. To save everybody some time, I will ansver them
> here, without waiting someone to key them in.

So what is the point of the sending your message?

> R: There is a web interface for this mailing list.
> MR: You cant' post new messages there, and it's just another way of
> showing emails anyway.

It wasn't designed for an interface to reply to, hence the read only
factor.

> R: There is a newsgroup interface.
> MR: Yeah, I'm using it right now. But it requires special software, and
> is terribly slow, unless you have very good connection and moderately
> powerful PC.

Special software?  Outlook, Thunderbird, mutt.  yes the news server is
slow.

> R: Forums suck, mailing lists rule.
> MR: Not if you don't like receiving 200 messages + spam every day.

The question isn't about forums sucking, i tend to belong to several
mailing lists and have them all go in my proper folders or (gmail) labels.

> R: Synchronizing mail lists and forums is very difficult and nobody will
> do it.
> MR: There is no need to synchronize anything.

I wouldn't say that it is difficult, it is a matter of anyone doing it.
I'm half way at the point to enable posting via the web (see sig), but i
don't think i will even go that route.

At this point it sounds like you just want to get rid of the current ways
of discussing topics and just use a web forum.

It just comes down to it that the mailing list system isn't going to go
away anytime soon nor is the news server. so someone will just have to
take the time and write some sort of web forum like application.

Besides, because php is a web development tool it doesn't mean that
everything that php.net does has to be written in php.  I hope you don't
suggest to have a web only cvs interface to commit code.

Curt.
--
http://news.zirzow.dyndns.org/