PHP 4.4.1 on Apache 2.0.x issue

   Hi list,

  after upgrading to PHP 4.4.1, I'm having the following problem: Apache is
running in prefork mode. index.php includes func.php, which defines some
functions and connects to MySQL. For a while (1-2 requests) everything runs
ok, except mysql sockets keep stacking up. And then - wham, suddenly, I'm
getting errors:
Cannot redeclare mquery() (previously declared in /home/test/func.php:9)
in /home/test/func.php on line 9

  If I wait a few seconds, it "works" for a couple of requests again. And then
the error is back.

  What on EARTH is happening? My wild guess is, somehow the memory gets
shared, and the previous script is still loaded into a thread when the new
one is called, but how can this be happening?

  I would greatly appreciate any advice...