getting rid of bad characters

I having been looking for some snippet to help me with changing MS
Word double, quotes, single quotes and other characters to acceptable
HTML safe characters.  The problem comes about when the people using
the forms paste large articles from Word into the form, I do a normal
check and add slashes but lately they have been getting lazy and using
the special characters from Word.