Re: printing from php

On Fri, October 28, 2005 6:17 am, Tom Cruickshank wrote:
>      I've been reading up on printing out documents using PHP (using
> Printer
> functions calls in the php manual)
>
> I'm using a Linux and/or FreeBSD operating system to run my php code
> on (in
> apache). However, I am surfing these pages using a Windows XP machine.
>
> Has anyone ever tried having a print button (or link) in php that
> would make
> Whatever page is being displayed being printed with the above
> scenario?
>
> How might you of gone about it to make it work? (the Linux or FreeBSD
> box is
> not configured to have a printer on it, shared or local, does that
> make a
> difference? )

If you are trying to get the print-out on a printer tied to the
server, PHP is maybe going to be involved.

If you want it printed to a printer tied to the client (browser) PHP
is long-gone and has nothing to do with it by the time you click on
"Print" button.

There are a bunch of JavaScript "print" buttons/links/scripts you can
find with Google to help.

If you need your HTML to be made printer-friendly BEFORE you print it,
PHP and http://php.net/pdflib may help.  Or is it
http://php.net/libpdf? I can never remember.

--
Like Music?