Re: curious (and frustrating) php/apache behavior

We're having a problem getting more than one imbedded PHP script to execute in our Apache-served pages. We're using Apache 2.0.40 server-side includes. We wish to include multiple PHP scripts into our pages but are only succeeding in having the first included PHP script executed; the rest are ignored or misinterpreted as HTML...

Thank you in advance for any help you provide.

This works:

$ cat php1.txt
<?php
echo "this is the first php include";
?>
$ cat test.shtml

<!--#INCLUDE virtual="/php1.txt"-->

Producing the expected result from the browser (http://myhost/test.shtml):
this is the first php include
this is html

However, this does not produce the expected three line result:

$ cat php1.txt
<?php
echo "this is the first php include";
?>
$ cat php2.txt
<?php
echo "this is the second php include";
?>
$ cat test.shtml

<!--#INCLUDE virtual="/php1.txt"-->
this came from html
<!--#INCLUDE virtual="/php2.txt"-->

Producing from the browser (http://myhost/test.shtml):
this is the first php include
this is html

This DOES work:

$cat test.php

<?php
echo "this is from the first php block";
?>

this is from html

<?php
echo "this is from the second php block";
?>

Producing from the browser (http://myhost/test.php):
this is from the first php block
this is from html
this is from the second php block

Don Brown
Co-Founder, Utah Skies
"Ski champagne powder by day, surf diamond-studded velvet by night..."