Re: php Slow with Mac OS X 10.4

I'm no fs_usage expert, so I have no idea on how to profile IO with it. I do know/see very high CPU usage when running PHP. The httpd process takes up to 70% of CPU capacity. This 'peak' can take about 4 to 8 seconds for example.

So I'm tempted to rule out DNS issues. Also because static (html) files and simple php files (without includes) are very fast.

Any tips on fs_usage etc. are still welcome though.

I haven't had any problems with slowdowns on 10.4. Usually when there are slowdowns on the Mac like you indicate, it has something to do with DNS lookups being performed. Apple seems to be having a hard time getting this right. You could problem find a ton of posts on very slow ssh on the Apple forums that have to do with DNS.

Have you figured out what the computer is doing when a page is taking that long? You mention it seems to point to an IO problem, have you used iostat (or fs_usage) to verify it's disk IO? My first guess is something with the network and you have to wait for a lookup, response or timeout, which is why it's taking at a minimum 10 seconds. Again, I would check DNS first, the most obvious being Apache resolving IP addresses for the log (don't do it).