Re: Abstract Classes?

One reason would be that you might not know the details of a derived class's
implementation details at design time.

For instance I could have an abstract class such as this:

Class MyTestClass
{
    function doSomething()
    {
        doSomethingElse();
    }

    abstract function doSomethingElse() ;
}

As you can see I have an abstract function with no details.  I know that
when the doSomething() function is called it must call the doSomethingElse
Function, but at the time that I define MyTestClass I don't know what that
is exactly.

Now say another developer needs to derive a class from MyTestClass.  Because
the base class is abstract they must define an emplementation for the
doSomethingElse class such as:

Class MyDerivedClass extends MyTestClass
{
    function doSomethingElse()
    {
        // here the developer must specify the specifics of what this method
does
    }
}

Now in our business logic if we do the following:

$myClass = new MyDerivedClass();
$myClass->doSomething();

The code will actually execute the doSomethingElse()  implementation that
has been defined in MyDerivedClass.

This can be extremely useful in developing frameworks that you want other
developers to extend on their own and also in business systems where you
might need to maintain a system by adding new classes/implementations over
time.  Certain patterns also make heavy uses of interfaces and abstract
classes.

Perhaps a real-world example would make more sense.  Does this help?  If
not, let me know and I'll come up with a similar/real-world example.

Colin

On 10/23/05 4:40 AM, "Alan Lord" <lord_alan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks Jasper,
>
> That makes sense.
>
> But what benefit is there is having it as an explicitly "abstract"
> class? Why can't it just be a "normal" class definition which you
> inherit from?
>
> Sorry to be so dense....
>
> Al

Thank you,
Colin Shreffler
Principal
303.349.9010 - cell
colin.shreffler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Warp 9 Software, LLC.
6791 Halifax Avenue
Castle Rock, CO 80104

Confidentiality Notice: The information in this e-mail may be confidential
and/or privileged. This e-mail is intended to be reviewed by only the
individual or organization named in the e-mail address. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination
or copying of this e-mail and attachments, if any, or the information
contained herein, is strictly prohibited.