Executing process in background

Hi,

I have to start a task on the server side that is going to take pretty long
to process in the server side. So I would like to show a message to the user
and ask him/her to check again later. But starting a new task holds up the
thread and won't let me exit the php. The user's browser does keeps showing
busy.
I tried to create a new thread using pcntl_fork, but my php doesn't allow
that as it has not been compiled with pcntl support and its not possible to
change that.
I also tried to create a script that would do the task and called the script
using system command and passed an '&' at the end to make it process in
background, but that also keeps the main thread busy.

Any solutions?

Thanks
-Surya