Re: fckeditor and PDF and pesky users

On Fri, October 14, 2005 6:03 pm, Jason Kovacs wrote:
> Richard Lynch said the following on Friday, October 14, 2005 3:39 PM:
>
>> So...
>>
>> Do I:
>>
>> A) Attempt to hack fckEditor to "allow" a PDF to get uploaded, and
>> then display a link to the PDF instead of alink to the fckEditor
>> output.
>>
>> B) Give them a separate, possibly confusing, input to upload files
>> tie in as links to the fckEditor area
>
> I've had success with this, creating a seperate utility to upload
> documents
> to the filesystem and keeping track of them in mysql.  I chose to
> allow
> displaying the PDF's and Doc's through links in the FCKEditor content,
> because I have never found a way to embed the PDF data into pages.

I don't think PDF embedded into pages exists...

Not saying for sure it doesn't, and sure not saying it SHOULDN'T, but
I've told them it ain't happening for them in the time-frame we've
got. :-)

> I added a custom drop-down menu to FCKEditor's Link window that fills
> in the URL upon selecting the menu item, but this url consisted of
> just a
> path to a redirect.php script where I set a GET variable to the ID of
> the
> document, then passing through the PDF or DOC data.  Though you could
> link the full path to the PDF in the URL, I just had my documents
> stored
> behind the web-accessible address.  Every time a new document was
> uploaded, I decided to write the URL's statically to a file that the
> FCKEditor script (changed fck_link.html to fck_link.php) will read
> into
> Javascript arrays, as opposed to accessing the DB every time this Link
> window was viewed.  I added about 50 lines of Javascript code to
> fck_link.php to do what I wanted in setting the URL from the Select
> list.

Sweet!

> I must warn you though, every time that I upgrade FCKEditor, I have to
> reapply the changes I've done and there is the possibility that the
> FCKEditor scripts may change to cause compatibility problems.  Let me
> know if you are interested in this route and I can post my alterations
> FCKEditor,

Please do!

> but the PDF file management is up to you.

Oh yeah.  That's for sure.

> I've had many
> non-technical users working with this utility just fine for about 6
> months,
> so it works and though its not the most graceful implementation from a
> developer's standpoint, it makes the user interface easiest to work
> with.

It certainly sounds like a very good solution.

Be really nifty if fckEditor folks took a look at it and considered
adding it as a feature.

We can't be the only ones needing this kind of thing.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm