Re: prevent user from getting scripts outside the web folder

No... Even Worse...and much stupider  ;)

The php folder I was using for the test project [within the document root] did not have ANY htaccess protection
He just opened up the folder in the browser.
That folder had an old version of my 'crucial_smil_functions.php' script
He got access to that

The real 'crucial_smil_functions.php ' script is outside the document root
/home/siren/includes/crucial_smil_ functions.php

the script within the doument root that accesses the above:
/home/siren/www/siren/reel/Library/php/smil.php

kind of like building a fort and forgetting to lock the front door